Monday, July 10, 2006

Office as UI for Business Applications

I presented a session at Pakistan Developer's Conference (PDC 2006) last month. One of my session was on Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO). Presentation that I did is available in files section of our dotnetwizards yahoo group. My talk revolved around showing the power and usability of Office applications and how they can be programmed using VSTO ver 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005. I had a discussion with one of the particpants who failed to understand the concept smart client apps using vsto. He insisted that since we can do all the similar stuff using windows or web apps there isnt any thing fancy in using VSTO. I am sure most of the audience agreed to the idea that how easily adaptle Office Apps and how much potential they have for Line Of Business Applications where you have information workers using your applications. I also emphasised the point information worker effeciancy and adaptibility should be central to the concept and design of business applications. I can see a lot of good stuff coming with VSTO v3. I just came across this useful article available on MSDN Mag web site here.

Let me know what your thoughts are? Also share if you have developed any application using VSTO.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I attended your session at PDC 06 about Windows Vista where U shared your knowledge on the application you build on Earth Quake Crises. I am not here to just post this commen. My team is currently working on VSTO for Developing few applications for our company which uses Excel Extensivly and wanted to use SQL Server for storage of data. We were using VSTO 2005 for Office Beta II. What we really need is thae way to install VSTO for Microsoft Office 2003. Please do let me know if you have any reference to the guideline to install VSTO for Office 2003. My email address is yasir.attiq@gmail.com. I will be thankful.
Regards,
Jerry